Tuesday, June 30, 2009

By request: Purple salad

I survived on this purple salad, as it has come to be called by Bungalow 8 Million, for months when I lived with my friend Cathleen in Cairo. Here's the recipe, as requested by my RB peeps:

Purple cabbage salad

a purple cabbage, shredded
a bunch of scallions or chives, chopped
1/3 cup vegetable oil (with a tablespoon of sesame oil if it's around)
1/3 cup Heinz apple cider vinegar (it really does make a difference)
1/3 cup soy sauce
a package of Ramen noodles, uncooked
1/4 cup sesame seeds
a few tablespoons of butter

The night before you want to eat it, mix the cabbage and the onions together with the oil, vinegar and soy sauce. You might want to increase the quantity of the dressing to taste, as it's extra tasty when it's tart and strong. Cover and leave it in the fridge, stirring when you remember to, but not so often that it becomes cumbersome.

Before you're ready to eat it, break up the uncooked Ramen into pieces and fry them over medium heat in butter, stirring frequently so they don't burn. They burn easily, so be forewarned. Once the Ramen pieces are toasted and brown, add the sesame seeds, stir for a minute and add the topping to the salad. If you don't add the topping, the salad keeps in the fridge for days.

2 comments:

  1. I will vouch - I remember this salad and it's startlingly good! I ate as much of it at the last BBQ as I could get without seeming greedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... yes, I love this one. You can make it into soup with the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments! They help to inform my posts and are very much appreciated.