Thursday, August 13, 2009

Productivity vs. the parasite

This small clinic is responsible, for the affordable sum of $0.90, for telling me that I don't have malaria. I'm on a first-name basis with Adi, the chief lab technician, who lets me call him for my lab results instead of watching hip-hop videos with silent and ailing locals in the waiting room. The clinic's moto is "Insist on knowing your medical problems," which I did -- only to learn gratefully that I had a cold.

Every time I walk in, the receptionist appears unhappy to see me and shakes her head. "You're getting too cold!" she tells me as I slowly spell out my name. This weekend, it was true: Robertsport kepts up a grey drizzle, I only brought one change of clothes and was wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt, and the sheets I'd grabbed from the communal cupboard were thin twin- sized and certainly insufficient for a night of heavy rain.

I was weary enough of a potential repeat of malaria that Nate and I have been taking our doxycycline, 100 mg at 2:00 pm every day, reminded by our Google Calendars.

3 comments:

  1. Are you getting enough Vitamin C over there? Are there oranges, lemons, or pineapple? I can bring you over some if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I was pleased to know that you didn't actually have a gastrointestinal parasite. That's what I first thought of when I read the title. Those can be most uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm 5 days away from finally finishing my doxycycline for India. the whole not eating for 2hrs before or after is such a pain. but word to the wise, never take it on a completely empty stomach or you will most likely throw up. i learned the hard way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments! They help to inform my posts and are very much appreciated.