Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A not-so-private practice

As the photo below shows, I have taken to practicing on the beach. Mostly, this happens in Robertsport before a surf session, once Nate and the other boys are already in the water. I find myself some shade underneath an almond tree and cycle through variations of sun salutations, starting with low lunges, working up to crescent moons with twists, and then transitioning to Surya Namaskar Bs -- the warrior series.

By this point, even if I remain technically alone, I have usually generated at-a-distance attention. "You do training!" one of the security guards at the lodge next door to the campsite tells me. I nod and smile. "Yoga!" yells Peter or Alfred as they run past me back into the water after beaching themselves with a long wave. Sometimes, they'll do a warrior pose or two with me. Those are everyone's favorites.

When I teach my Sunday class to the Robertsport kids -- a class always followed with shared biscuits or now, thanks to the generosity of a resident American, Blow Pops -- this is the part everyone sparks with recognition at. Warrior One: arms up, hips forward, front knee bent, we hold a cutlass over our heads and cut grass. Whoosh. Whoosh. Whoosh. Warrior Two: arms out, hips to the side, keep your front knee bent, now take an arrow from the case on your back, load your bow, aim at the sky and shoot towards a cloud. Load, aim, poing. And so on. Warrior Three: hoover your arms, balance on your front foot, don't fall, fly through the sky. I've cued this to make us airplanes before, but I haven't seen any fly overhead and I'm not sure they really know what they are. Way better to pretend it's us who are flying.

1 comment:

  1. I love the bit about the airplanes. It's hard to believe that there are some people in the world who haven't seen airplanes before, no?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments! They help to inform my posts and are very much appreciated.