Thursday, April 8, 2010

I am not a wine expert.

As part of developing Tides' drinks list, Nate and I are haphazardly sampling any wine that we think looks interesting. We pick them from the local supermarkets based on origin, grape type and cost. We prefer South African vintners because they're African, but there are also some Argentinian, Chilean and French bottles thrown into the mix.

But here's the thing. I know what I like, but I don't really know that much about wine. I have friends who do, and am considering sending them a list of all the wines Liberia imports with a highlighter (you know who you are, so consider yourself warned). Until I do that, though, we're on a blind, random taste test of whatever we spontaneously buy.

And because I have no intention of presenting our wine list with any kind of authority, we write down phrases like the following after taking a dozen or so sips:

"Smooth, berries, accessible, light, subtle"

And then, a bit later:

"Cross-dressing red won't freak at your seafood,"

"Smells like wildflowers in the springtime if you poured red wine on them,"

and

"Smells like trouble and tastes like high school."

Expect a rather interesting menu. If you're in Monrovia and have favorites, please list them in the comments section and we'll do our best to stock them at a reasonable price...

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, Humm...Wine tasting now that's a hard job. We really like the Chilean wines but don't know the price there. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!!! SO hilarious. I love you! Seriously, was that High School wine any good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey elizabeth, reading your blog for the first time, rad! I just watched a 10-part series on the wine industry called "Mondovino" - I highly recommend it, but my point is this: presumably the cafe/restaurant will have food that you like, if you stick to the wine that you like you can't go wrong. Any wine maker with a love for their craft will tell you that the thing that matters most when choosing wine is that a) you like it and b) that you like who you're drinking it with. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments! They help to inform my posts and are very much appreciated.