Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tides: Our first party

Last Sunday, one of my good friends hosted her birthday party at Tides. We're not quite ready to open yet, but having 15 people come over for sundowners definitely showed us what we need to do to open: screen the kitchen, for one, and get another cutting board so we don't have to queue. You can see the giant chalkboard we made for the drinks menu above, and the smaller one I commandeered for our menu.
Here is Mawuli, the Togolese bartender we met in Ghana, diligently preparing fresh ingredients for the mixed drinks (not the tomatoes and hot pepper--those I was taking to the kitchen).
This is Elizabeth, making tortillas that will become tortilla chips. Note the apron, hand-sewn by the Women's Sewing Co-op! We'll all have matching ones, with headscarves too.

This is Muna, one of Solomon's friends, making us a lunch of dry rice, bitterball and fried fish as I kept distracting her with other kitchen tasks and then, feeling hungry, putting her back on lunch duty. Look how patient she is with me: I'm hiring her.
This is Edward, with the unenviable task of prying coconuts out of their shells so we can roast them with sea salt and chili.
We're ready to start our speakeasies tonight and open on either Saturday or Wednesday next week. Email me--if you haven't already--for an invite. We'll see you there!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I want to be invited. :) It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drink prices look good...everyhour is happy hour! Can't wait to see Tides in person one day. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking how expensive Liberia is as I am in Thailand and loving how cheap the same items are - oh LIB - it is just become too pricey for the average folk! I pick up my nightly meal of a huge salad with chicken, a small cool dessert, drink and sticky rice for about $1.....a generator run country is so expensive! Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy...Let's see, I think I'd order the coconut appetizer, carne asada with pico de gallo and all the desserts. What a fabulous menu and the staff look like they are serious but having fun too...M

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Renee: We're run 100% on LEC and we use 100% Liberian ingredients whenever we can--that means more $ for the local economy and less $$$ to the import economy. Come and visit when you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blog and photos. Have a nice day Radka.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments! They help to inform my posts and are very much appreciated.